Why Diamond Art
How Diamond Art can help your mental health
HERE ARE 7 WAYS DIAMOND PAINTING CAN HELP WITH ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
1. Increased Self-esteem: The process of doing and completing a diamond painting can be very beneficial in improving your self-appreciation and confidence. Displaying your completed diamond painting reminds you of your accomplishment and gives you pride in your work. This can be the stepping stone you need to have the confidence to accomplish bigger and better things.
2. Emotional release: One of the greatest benefits of diamond painting is that it gives you a healthy outlet for expressing and letting go of feelings and fears. When you are unable to express yourself, but you want to release emotions, crafting something may help you do that.
3. Stress relief: Fighting depression, anxiety or emotional trauma can be very stressful, both physically and emotionally. Diamond painting can be used to relieve stress and relax your body and mind.
4. Takes your mind off your problems: Diamond painting can serve to distract you from negative feelings. Keeping your mind busy with diamond painting can encourage negative obsessive thoughts to recede to the back of your mind, allowing you to feel more positive overall.
5. Increases dopamine in your brain: Dopamine, which is known as the “feel good” chemical, is a neurotransmitter produced in the brain that elevates your mood, making you feel happier. Research shows that engaging in a crafting project, such as diamond painting, stimulates the production of dopamine in your brain, leading to a happier mood.
6. Improves problem-solving ability: While you are diamond painting you are using the same part of your brain that you use when you solve problems. This leads to improved problem solving ability because you solve simple problems while diamond painting.
7. Helps achieve a meditative state: When you engage in diamond painting, your mind tends to calm down and focus on the project at hand. Then, by working piece by piece, you create a calming technique. This routine of doing the same movement over again brings you to a calming, meditative state. The thought is that with mindfulness, you will focus your mind elsewhere instead of on your anxiety and/or depression.
I can speak from experience when I say that diamond painting can be very effective in helping with these 7 areas. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years and diamond painting is something that I enjoy greatly and helps me with both conditions.
These beneficial effects aren’t dependent on a person’s skills or talents. It’s the process, not the product!
If you suffer from various forms of depression and/or anxiety, diamond painting offers an excellent, natural way to push back against the beast! Plus, you get to make something very cool and have a lot of fun. And you don’t even have to be an artist to do diamond painting. It’s a perfect DIY project for beginner to advanced diamond painters.
So next time someone tries to tell you you’re spending too much time or money diamond painting, let them know that you are just practicing self care and it's worth EVERY penny!